Are you a victim of nursing home abuse in Margate? Do you suspect that your loved one is being abused in a nursing home in Margate or anywhere in Florida? Did you lose a loved one to bed sores caused by inadequate care in a nursing home in Margate? If you or someone you know has bed sores, bruising, or any other sign of abuse that have developed after residing in a nursing home in Margate or anywhere throughout Florida, it’s best to contact our firm to see if we can assist you.
Some of the things we offer:
- We offer FREE consultations
- We do our best to accommodate your schedule so that you don’t have to miss work or school
- We have over 40 years of experience working on these types of cases
- We work on a contingency fee basis, so we don’t get paid unless you get paid
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
If you are a concerned for your family member living in a nursing home, you need to be aware of the warning signs of elder abuse.
The following points indicate the possible signs of abuse:
- Bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns
- Withdrawal from normal activities, a sudden change in alertness, and unusual depression
- Bruises around the breasts or genital area can occur from sexual abuse
- Sudden changes in financial situations may be the result of exploitation
- Bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene, and unusual weight loss
- Behavior such as belittling, threats, and other uses of power and control by spouses
- Frequent arguments between the caregiver and elderly person are also signs
What You Should Know About Bed Sores
A common misconception is that bed sores are normal when a person is confined to a bed, but that is not true. In fact, most of the time, bed sores (also known as decubitus ulcers or pressure ulcers) are preventable. Bed sores happen when an immobile patient is left sitting or lying in the same position for a prolonged period of time. They can also happen as a result of inadequate hygiene from leaving a person sitting in soiled clothes or linen.
It’s important to keep a look out for reddened areas on your loved one’s body, as this may be an early indicator of pressure ulcer formation. In its initial stage, a bed sore appears as a reddened area in the skin that when pressed, remains red rather than turning white. However, as a bed sore worsens, it can progress to a stage 2 ulcer which appears as a reddened open sore. When stage 2 ulcers are not cleaned and treated properly, they will progress to a stage 3 or 4 ulcer. In stage 3, the bed sore will appear like a crater. Once it reaches stage 4, bone, muscle, and tendon will be exposed.
If you or your loved one are at risk for developing pressure ulcers, the following steps can be taken to prevent them from forming:
- Eat a high calorie, high protein diet
- Maintain adequate hygiene
- Avoid the use of talc powder
- Do not wear tight clothes
- Ensure caregivers remove soiled linens and clothes promptly
- If bed-bound, ensure caregivers are re-positioning you frequently
- If bed-bound, ensure bony prominences are protected with a pillow
- If you require assistance to move, never drag your body because this could cause skin tears on already sensitive skin
In one of the nursing home cases we handled, our client had developed bed sores in 2 parts of her body. The staff charting and our investigation of the defendant nursing home demonstrated that our client had not been bathed or washed for close to 2 weeks. The charts also showed that our client had not eaten dinner for almost an entire week. The jury found the nursing home responsible for our client’s injuries and awarded more than $900,000 for the case.
Hire a Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer in Margate
Aging affects people differently. If you or your family member needs medical assistance, often, the best option is a nursing home. The negative aspect of nursing homes is the risk of elder abuse. Many victims of elder abuse do not realize that they may be entitled to file a claim for their injuries. If you or your loved one is a victim of elder abuse, Law Offices Cytryn & Velazquez, P.A. may be able to help you file a claim.
Each case is unique and requires the attention of a firm that is knowledgeable and communicates with clients regularly. At Law Offices Cytryn & Velazquez, P.A., we understand that filing a claim can sometimes be confusing or stressful — that is why we initially set up a time for you to meet with an attorney who will explain the process thoroughly. We also assign case managers to work closely with you throughout the legal process.
Are you concerned about the fees or costs of hiring an attorney? Our firm provides a free consultation, where you will discuss the details of your case. If we determine we can help you, we work on a contingency basis, meaning you do not pay anything unless we are successful at attaining recovery for your case.
Also, be sure to visit our verdicts and settlements page to see a few examples of our results for some of our previous clients.
Always Available for YouIf you don’t have a way of getting to our office, we will come to your home or hospital.
Board Certified LawyerWe have the only active board certified civil trial lawyer in Northwest Broward County.
More Than 40 Years of ExperienceWe have a proven track record of success in accident cases over 4 decades.
Our Results Don't Lie
We’ve had more than 30 cases that have settled or resulted in jury verdicts of one million dollars or more.
No Fee If No RecoveryWe work on a contingency fee, so we only get paid if you get paid.