Margate Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
We Will Fight for Your Elderly Loved Ones
Are you a victim of nursing home abuse in Margate? Do you suspect that
your loved one is being abused in a nursing home in Margate or anywhere
in Florida? Did you lose a loved one to bed sores caused by inadequate
care in a nursing home in Margate? If you or someone you know has bed
sores, bruising, or any other sign of abuse that have developed after
residing in a nursing home in Margate or anywhere throughout Florida,
it’s best to contact our firm to see if we can assist you.
Some of the things we offer:
- We offer FREE consultations
- We do our best to accommodate your schedule so that you don’t have
to miss work or school
- We have 40 years of experience working on these types of cases
- We work on a contingency fee basis, so we don’t get paid unless you get paid
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
If you are a concerned for your family member living in a nursing home,
you need to be aware of the warning signs of elder abuse.
The following points indicate the possible signs of abuse:
- Bruises, pressure marks, broken bones, abrasions, and burns
- Withdrawal from normal activities, a sudden change in alertness, and unusual
- Bruises around the breasts or genital area can occur from sexual abuse
- Sudden changes in financial situations may be the result of exploitation
- Bedsores, unattended medical needs, poor hygiene, and unusual weight loss
- Behavior such as belittling, threats, and other uses of power and control
- Frequent arguments between the caregiver and elderly person are also signs
What You Should Know About Bed Sores
A common misconception is that bed sores are normal when a person is confined
to a bed, but that is not true. In fact, most of the time, bed sores (also
known as decubitus ulcers or pressure ulcers) are preventable. Bed sores
happen when an immobile patient is left sitting or lying in the same position
for a prolonged period of time. They can also happen as a result of inadequate
hygiene from leaving a person sitting in soiled clothes or linen.
It’s important to keep a look out for reddened areas on your loved
one’s body, as this may be an early indicator of pressure ulcer
formation. In its initial stage, a bed sore appears as a reddened area
in the skin that when pressed, remains red rather than turning white.
However, as a bed sore worsens, it can progress to a stage 2 ulcer which
appears as a reddened open sore. When stage 2 ulcers are not cleaned and
treated properly, they will progress to a stage 3 or 4 ulcer. In stage
3, the bed sore will appear like a crater. Once it reaches stage 4, bone,
muscle, and tendon will be exposed.
If you or your loved one are at risk for developing pressure ulcers, the
following steps can be taken to prevent them from forming:
- Eat a high calorie, high protein diet
- Maintain adequate hygiene
- Avoid the use of talc powder
- Do not wear tight clothes
- Ensure caregivers remove soiled linens and clothes promptly
- If bed-bound, ensure caregivers are re-positioning you frequently
- If bed-bound, ensure bony prominences are protected with a pillow
- If you require assistance to move, never drag your body because this could
cause skin tears on already sensitive skin
In one of the nursing home cases we handled, our client had developed bed
sores in 2 parts of her body. The staff charting and our investigation
of the defendant nursing home demonstrated that our client had not been
bathed or washed for close to 2 weeks. The charts also showed that our
client had not eaten dinner for almost an entire week. The jury found
the nursing home responsible for our client’s injuries and awarded
more than $900,000 for the case.
Hire a Nursing Home Negligence Lawyer in Margate
Aging affects people differently. If you or your family member needs medical
assistance, often, the best option is a nursing home. The negative aspect
of nursing homes is the risk of elder abuse. Many victims of elder abuse
do not realize that they may be entitled to file a claim for their injuries.
If you or your loved one is a victim of elder abuse, Law Offices Cytryn
& Velazquez, P.A. may be able to help you file a claim.
Each case is unique and requires the attention of a firm that is knowledgeable
and communicates with clients regularly. At Law Offices Cytryn & Velazquez,
P.A., we understand that filing a claim can sometimes be confusing or
stressful — that is why we initially set up a time for you to meet
with an attorney who will explain the process thoroughly. We also assign
case managers to work closely with you throughout the legal process.
Are you concerned about the fees or costs of hiring an attorney? Our firm
provides a free consultation, where you will discuss the details of your
case. If we determine we can help you, we work on a contingency basis,
meaning you do not pay anything unless we are successful at attaining
recovery for your case.
Also, be sure to visit our
verdicts and settlements page to see a few examples of our results for some of our previous clients.
If you or your loved one are a victim of elder abuse in Margate, call the
Law Offices of Cytryn & Velazquez, P.A. now toll free at
(954) 833-1440 for your