Lawsuits are being filed across the country due to injuries sustained from pressure cookers. The injuries run from mild to severe.
The alarming and increasing number of lawsuits have spawned numerous recalls due to a variety of issues. Pressure cooker manufacturers are being held liable for the vast types of injuries.
Here are the facts of the pressure cooker injuries and subsequent lawsuits:
What is a Pressure Cooker?
Pressure cookers are advertised all over the television. They can also be called one-pots, instant pots, crock pots, and more.
Pressure cookers are marketed as easy one-pot meals that save both time and can be used by beginner cooks. Pressure cookers operate by trapping heat within the pot under a secure lid. This prevents the steam from escaping and cooks the food to an even temperature.
Unfortunately, when a product like this is defective, the high pressure and temperatures can result in dangerous explosions. These explosions can cause permanent injuries—and may result in death.
Pressure cookers across the country are being recalled due to a variety of dangerous incidences. Certain pressure cookers are causing explosions. The pressure cooker has a defective design that is causing pressure cookers to spew hot liquid across the kitchen. This has resulted in severe burns.
Lawsuits are alleging that makers and manufacturers are misrepresenting the safety of their products. The lawsuits filed claim the following:
- Negligence in designing, manufacturing, and testing the pressure cooker – especially since there were “safer alternative designs” available
- Failure to prevent the “sudden and unexpected explosion” of the cooker’s contents, even when the consumer uses the product according to the instructions
- Failure to provide proper and adequate warnings and instructions with its pressure cooker
- Makers knew or should have known that the cooker was not fit for use
The following pressure cooker manufacturers that are involved in the lawsuit include:
- Instant Brands, Inc.
- Nuwave, LLC
- Tabletops Unlimited, Inc.
- Sunbeam Products, Inc.
- TTK Prestige Limited
- Wolfgang Puck Enterprises, Incl
- Costway.com, Inc.
- MAXI-MATIC U.S.A., INC.
- Conair Corporation d/b/a/ Cuisinart
- Groupe SEB USA, INC.
- Sensio, Inc.
- National Presto Industries, Inc.
- Fenca America. Inc.
- Zavor Versa Express Pressure Cooker
Injuries Sustained from Pressure Cooker Explosion
Multiple injuries have been recorded due to pressure cookers exploding. These injuries resulted in victims being rushed to the hospital and needing extensive medical care and plastic surgery. The injuries include:
- Burns on the face, chest, arms, and torso
- Vision loss
- Skin lacerations
- Hearing loss
- Broken bones
- TBIs (traumatic brain injuries)
- Permanent disfigurements
- And more
Injured parties are filing product liability lawsuits against the makers and manufacturers of the pressure cookers that caused them injuries. Several types of product liability exist including:
- Design defect – Flaws and errors in a product’s design that make it inherently dangerous for consumers
- Manufacturing defect – Aspects of the product the manufacturer did not design or intend
- Failure to warn – The manufacturer failed to provide adequate instructions or warnings about the safe use of a product
Products with defects that cause harm to consumers can be held liable for negligence. Makers and manufacturers have a standard of care to ensure their products are safe for the public.
Who is Liable
It is essential to know who is liable in the event of a defective pressure cooker injury. Several parties can be held responsible. The parties that can be held liable include:
- Maker/manufacturer of the product
- Retailer or seller of the product
- Marketers of the product
Defective Product Lawyers
It is imperative to seek not only medical assistance but also legal assistance. Our team of proven Florida personal injury attorneys at Law Offices Cytryn & Velazquez, P.A. are ready to help you get the compensation you deserve. Our Florida personal injury law firm serves Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, Plantation, Sunrise, Tamarac, and the entire State of Florida.
We will hold the negligent parties accountable as they may have breached the standard duty of care to you and other consumers. You are entitled to operate products safely. When defective products hit the market, people get hurt. We understand how devastating it can be and are ready to get you damages to help you heal.